Dental crowns also known as “caps,” preserve the functionality of damaged teeth. Dental Crown may be used to protect a cracked tooth, restore functionality of a tooth with excessive decay or replace a pre-existing crown. The purpose of a dental crown is to encase a needy tooth with a custom-designed material. While a dental bridge is anchored to neighbouring teeth in order to replace one or more missing teeth.
Crown is made of:
- Porcelain: Most often used for front teeth because of their natural look. As the name states the crowns are made of porcelain. However they are not as strong as bounded crowns.
- All-ceramic: This modern technique offers a metal-free alternative, which can give the strength of a bonded crown and the appearance of a porcelain crown. Therefore it is suitable for use in all areas of the mouth.
- Glass: These crowns look very natural and can be used anywhere in the mouth.
- Gold-alloy crowns: Gold has been used for a very long time to make crowns. But in present times it is combined with other metals to make it more sturdy and hardwearing. This is also because pure metals do not have the appropriate physical properties.
The dentist may recommend a crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment
The dentist will prepare the tooth to the ideal shape for the crown. This will involve removing a layer of the outer surface, leaving a strong inner core. The amount of the tooth removed will be the same as the thickness of the crown.
Once the tooth is shaped, the dental team will take an impression (mould) of the prepared tooth, one of the opposite jaw and possibly another to show the way you bite together.
To know more about our Dental Crown treatment packages, call us at +91-9810085065 or mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to provide any medical assistance.